Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Interview: Tim Chaisson (part II)



Tim Chaisson is a 24-year-old musician from Prince Edward Island on Canada's east coast. He's about to embark on an Australian tour supporting Shannon Noll and playing at the Sydney Blues & Roots Festival.

You can read the first part of this interview here.














Coming out of that Maritimes musical culture, which is Celtic in origin, for your progression as a songwriter and performer, have you consciously moved away from that, because your style now is a bit more folk/rock/perhaps country.Growing up and playing the Celtic music -I then started singing something that I wanted to keep separate, like I almost wanted to have the Celtic influence and then whatever I started singing I wanted to have separate to the Celtic music. But I think subconsciously it all comes out in my songwriting a bit, but that's just because I love all the different styles of music. I just kind of write what comes out, really, I don't necessarily try to make it not sound Celtic or not make it sound like country or rock or pop.



On this latest album you collaborated a bit, whereas before you wrote mainly on your own. How was that experience?


My last record I wrote, recorded and produced it all, and recorded all the instruments by myself, and I had the three guys who are in my band, Morning Fold, they're with me for tours. And co-writing too - with Joel Plaskett and Geordie Johnson [who co-wrote with Chaisson on Broken Hearted Beat] a lot more different elements came into play, it was definitely completely different, having their ideas. I loved it. It was like having other heads. Everybody put their heads together and saw what they could come up with. It was pretty cool.





There were no arguments about who gets to write the bridge, who gets to write the verse ...


[laughs] No, there wasn't, actually. All the songs I co-wrote - I didn't co-write anything with the guys in my band, but sometimes someone will say, 'We can do this', and someone else will say, 'I don't think so, we should do this', and I think that goes along with an art and playing music and every band has that. You eventually settle on what you want to do and what's best for the song.





You're coming out to Australia on your own, without the band?


Yes, coming on my own this time, and I hope to get back with the guys in the band.





I often think that performers who have bands but who also play on their own, with just a guitar and their own voice, it must be quite nice to feel 'I can do this - whatever happens, this gig's going to be okay'.


It's such a different vibe on stage, too. You sing a song a little bit differently because you're by yourself and you have to attract people as best you can. Like in Australia, nobody will know who I am so there's a little bit of pressure when you're by yourself and to not have the four or three guys behind you to cheer you along. But I'm looking forward to it.




Have you heard about Shannon Noll, who you'll be supporting?


I've been doing a lot of reading about him and I've been listening to his music. He's very talented and I'm looking forward to doing the shows with him. I know he's a well-known artist in Australia. I'm looking forward to meeting him too and watching his show. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.





Tim Chaisson tour dates




11-13 October - Brass Monkey, Cronulla NSW


14 October - The Basement, Sydney NSW


15 October - Cessnock NSW


20 October - The Governor Hindmarsh Hotel, Adelaide SA


25 October - The Brass Monkey, solo show



Sydney Blues & Roots Festival

27 October - Opening Night Gala


28-30 October - solo performances


All info: http://www.timchaisson.com/

Twitter: @timchaisson



No comments: